When dealing with an orthopedic issue – whether it’s back or neck pain, a faulty knee, a stiff shoulder, or any other troublesome joint – choosing a surgeon to address your problem may seem like a stressful chore. However, selecting the right specialist is just as important as seeking the appropriate treatment.
Naturally, you’ll rely on referrals from your primary care physician and/or the recommendations of family, friends, or acquaintances who have undergone treatment, as well as online reviews. However, there’s more to finding the best orthopedic surgeon for your specific needs.
Here is a helpful list of things you should consider to assist you in your search:
- The surgeon’s credentials – Carefully review details such as their educational background, the degrees they received, and what kind and how much training they have completed. Check to see if they are board-certified by a reliable and highly reputable association, like the American Medical Association (AMA) or the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS).
- The surgeon’s expertise and experience–Find out what types of surgery the doctor specializes in and how many procedures they perform annually. Top-rated surgeons often perform hundreds of procedures per year and are most likely to have the best record of success. Besides gaining experience by performing operations, orthopedic specialists also expand their expertise through continued education related to new technologies, surgical techniques, and non-surgical treatments. Find out if you may benefit from a specific surgical approach or treatment and whether your prospective surgeon is trained in it.
- The surgeon’s communication skills –Do you feel comfortable interacting with the prospective surgeon? Are they forthcoming in sharing information? Do they spend sufficient time discussing your options and possible outcomes, engaging in informed and collaborative decision-making with you? Have they earned your confidence in their ability to address your needs, facilitate your surgery, and oversee your recovery?
- The surgeon’s patient reviews – Online reviews can provide insight into how a doctor practices medicine and how efficiently their practice is operated. Take note of how well patients trust the doctor, how much time they spend with them, how well they answer questions, and patients’ experience with office staff in scheduling appointments and accommodating their needs.
- The quality and convenience of the hospital the surgeon is affiliated with – This matters because a top-rated hospital has fewer complications and better success rates. Not only that, but the hospital’s location is also important since you will likely need to make ride arrangements for your surgery and probably don’t want to travel too far.
- Your health insurance coverage – While you’re vetting orthopedic specialists in your area, be sure to find out if they accept your healthcare plan, as it can affect your out-of-pocket expense.
Best Orthopedic Surgeons in Raleigh, North Carolina
In choosing the best orthopedic surgeon for your specific condition, you want a professional who is not only highly trained and experienced but also someone who genuinely cares about providing you with the most effective care.
A graduate of Duke University School of Medicine and affiliated with the highly-rated North Carolina Specialty Hospital in Durham and Rex Hospital in Raleigh, Dr. Brett J. Gilbert is a board-certified and fellowship-trained hip and knee replacement, specialist. He is uniquely qualified to diagnose your joint pain, recommend the appropriate course of action, and perform the orthopedic surgery that provides the best possible outcome.
To request a consultation with Dr. Gilbert, call our practice at (919) 788-8797 or schedule an appointment online.